Hi all, I’m back from my blogging break! I feel sorry for not posting my usual hiatus announcement, but I was so overwhelmed with work all of a sudden, that I immediately stopped all my activity. Anyone who knows me might have guessed the reason why: end-of-semester exams and assignments.
Ugh! I’m glad it’s over as it’s been my worst two months in a long time. In these weeks I learned how stress can attack me in new and unexpected ways.
Anyway, the good thing about not writing anything about my personal life during such a tense period is that now it’s all over, I can focus more on the positives than the negatives.
- Deciding on my thesis subject and receiving positive feedback about it #letsdothis 💪
- The comfort of Swedish food in my tummy 😋
- The joys and excitements of tennis (and the drama in F1) that kept me company and gave me breaks from studying 🎾🏁
- The feeling of immense relief when I hand in assignments 😩
- And the same feeling every time I cross off an exam from my timetable 👊
- Celebrating the end of the semester with classmates 🍻
- All the pleasure reading I can finally start doing in summer (though I still need to read for studying as well) 📚
- New TV placed in the coolest room of the apartment (bedroom) to fight off the summer heat 📺
- The stress of writing assignments, no matter how early I start them
- Seven exams: three of them (among the worst) in three consecutive days, two papers overall that still make me feel queasy when I think about them… 😰
- One month+ of waiting for the grades 😱
- Stress exploding in entirely new physical symptoms and the subsequent medical checks
- Heatwave with 37Cº+ and humidity 🔥
What I’ve been watching
- Movies: At first I didn’t watch a lot because studying killed my mood and energy, but in the last weeks I started to catch up. Still, I got some titles worth mentioning from the 14 films I’ve seen.
- Italian: I finished watching the movies I had to study with Michelangelo Antonioni’s L’avventura and Red Desert and Ettore Scola’s A Special Day. I liked all of them, especially the last one (which I saw twice). Highly recommended!
- Swedish: I’ve seen 6 Scandi films and those worth mentioning are Popular Music (Populärmusik från Vittula) and the Millenium trilogy. Both are based on books which I haven’t read yet; I would have preferred to read them first, but Matt was impatient. 😛 I loved Popular Music so much that I still want to read it – it’s a funny and weird coming-of -age story set close to the border between Sweden and Finland. The Millenium trilogy is, of course, Stieg Larsson’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc. I loved the series more than I thought I would: Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander is absolutely excellent. Sadly, as soon as I finished the last movie, I saw on the news that Michael Nyqvist had passed away! Unbelievable.
- TV: I did watch some television because… yeah, I’m a sucker for that, it’s much easier to watch than movies! We watched the sitcom The War at Home starring Michael Rapaport. I had never heard of it before, and I’m surprised that it lasted only two seasons because I thought it was hilarious and rather unconventional for a family-themed sitcom. After that, we started Married… with Children but only watched the first few episodes. Finally, we also watched the new season of F is for Family on Netflix. It’s becoming better and better, I’m glad it’s been confirmed for a Season 3!
What I’ve been reading
- Read: I hardly read anything these two months, except for assigned texts. Unfortunately, I didn’t read everything I intended to; I failed to finish Italian Hours by Henry James, and I didn’t get to read a couple of other books. At least, I finished Virginia Woolf’s A Room of One’s Own and Three Guineas, which I enjoyed.
- Summer reading: The best thing about summer is that I can read the books I actually enjoy, without the burden of studying them. I don’t have a proper TBR list and no review challenge for the blog either because I want to keep my choices as free and varied as possible. However, I’m definitely starting with the Fredrik Backman books that I received for Christmas. Apart from that, I still need to find the time for some useful reading, especially related to my thesis. I’ve already ordered a bunch of books!
- I’m happy to be back to blogging BUT… I still don’t want to overdo it. Last summer, I tried to be as active as possible, even by starting a reading challenge. I don’t want to repeat it, I want to have time for offline things as well. Despite that, I have an idea of what I can post during the summer, and I look forward to starting!